Begin Main Content Area

Parole FAQ

expand Question : The person who assaulted me received a state sentence; however, they were permitted to serve their sentence in the county jail. Where can I go to find out when that person is going to be released? ‎(1)

Although the offender is serving his sentence in a county jail his release is still determined by the state office of the Board of Probation and Parole. You will want to contact the Office of the Victim Advocate to register to receive this type of notification. Once you register you will be notified by letter when the offender is going to be considered for parole. You will also have the opportunity to offer prior comment on the release of the offender. The Office of the Victim Advocate will notify you when a decision is made concerning release.

And you may want to contact the victim service program within the district attorney’s office. The victim/witness coordinator from that office can help you register with PA SAVIN. Or you can call 1-866-972-7284 and register yourself. You will then be notified by telephone, at the number you provide, when that offender is released. Please note that if you register with PA SAVIN you will be notified of releases but you will not be notified concerning the opportunity to offer prior comment on the release of the offender. That service is only provided to you when you register with the Office of the Victim Advocate.

expand Question : The person who committed the crime against me was sentenced to 2 to 5 years but is serving that sentence in a county facility. Will I have notification and input rights? ‎(1)