Am I Eligible?
To receive financial help from the Victims Compensation Assistance Program, you must:
- Be a victim of a crime that happened in Pennsylvania or a Pennsylvania resident who was injured or killed in a foreign country that does not have and
- compensation program, and
- Report the crime or file a Protection from Abuse Order (PFA) within three days of the crime, and
- Cooperate with the police, courts and the Victims Compensation Assistance Program, and
- File the claim for compensation within 2 years of the crime, and
- Not be involved in illegal activity that may have caused the crime to happen, and
- Have an out of pocket expense of at least $100 because of the crime (if you are less than 60 years old).
- There are some exceptions to the above requirements (especially if the victim is younger than 18 years old.)
The Victims Compensation Assistance Program will not reimburse you for:
- Pain and suffering
- Stolen or damaged property (except some medical items such as canes, wheelchairs, eyeglasses, hearing aids or medications).