Begin Main Content Area

Step 11 - Appeal

Once sentenced, the defendant has the right to an appeal. If the appeal is first done in the Common Pleas Court and denied, the defendant may then appeal to the Superior Court of Pennsylvania. If the defendant’s appeal to the Superior Court is unsuccessful, the defendant can appeal to the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania. The district attorney’s office will respond to the defendant’s appeal by filing the appropriate paperwork. 

There are various other post conviction, post state court appeal remedies, such as the Post-Conviction Relief Act or Federal Habeas Corpus, from which appeals may also be taken.