Begin Main Content Area

The Importance Of Reporting A Crime FAQ

expand Question : Am I still eligible to receive victim services if I do not report the crime to the police? ‎(1)

​Yes. Services are available to all victims of crime. However, unless you report the crime and cooperate with the police and the district attorney’s office you will not be eligible to file for compensation. There could be an exception in some cases so you may want to talk to an advocate at your local victim service program.

expand Question : Do I have to pay for the services I receive from the victim service program or the district attorney’s office? ‎(1)
expand Question : How will I know what my rights are as a victim of crime? ‎(1)

​Law enforcement may have already given you a brochure that has basic information about the rights for victims of crime and available services. Listed in that brochure are the names, addresses and telephone numbers of the victim service program in your county that you can contact for assistance. Or, if you return to the juvenile justice flow chart you will see an “R” listed beside each step in the juvenile justice system where you, as a victim of crime, have a specific right.

expand Question : I am a Pennsylvania resident but I was a victim of crime in another state, will I be provided these rights? ‎(1)