Begin Main Content Area

Understanding the Legal Process FAQ

expand Question : I was a victim of crime, where can I go for help? ‎(1)

​The police officer, within 24 hours of contact with you, will provide to you a list of Victim Service Programs in your county where you can call an advocate for assistance.

expand Question : There has been no arrest in the case in which I was a victim of an assault, what should I do? ‎(1)
expand Question : Who can help me; I am a victim of crime but cannot afford an attorney? ‎(1)

​The district attorney in your county is an elected official whose responsibility, in part, is to prosecute those individuals who commit a crime. There is no charge to the victim for the services of a district attorney to prosecute a crime.