Begin Main Content Area

Why the Elderly May Not Want to Report Crimes

If you or someone you know is elderly, age 60 or older, and are being hurt, you may want to talk to someone about it. You may be a victim of elder abuse that could include physical or emotional abuse, neglect, abandonment, or financial exploitation. 

It is not uncommon that you may feel reluctant to talk about what is happening to you, because the person responsible is your caretaker. You may be afraid to talk to anyone about the abuse because you may fear losing the care you need, or the caretaker may be a troubled family member and you don’t want to cause additional problems for them. Or, you may think that what happens at home is a private matter and should not be discussed outside the home.

If you were a victim of a scam or fraud, it may be difficult to admit that you did not make a good choice and be in fear that family members may ‘find out’ and think that you cannot take care of yourself. Those are all normal feelings that may cause you to be afraid and not feel safe.

If you want help or just want to talk to someone about what is happening to you or someone you care about, you can call and talk with someone at your local Area on Aging Agency (AAA). The AAA has trained staff who can answer your questions and provide you with information on what services are available to you or another older adult. They can also determine if there is a need for protective services. Or, you may call the police by dialing 911 and report that you are a victim of crime and need assistance.