Begin Main Content Area

What Do I Do About Criminal Records Made In My Name?

If you have an arrest warrant issued in your name, contact the arresting or citing law enforcement agency (i.e., the police or sheriff's department that originally arrested the person using your identity, or the court agency that issued the warrant for the arrest).  You'll need to file an impersonation report to confirm your identity and the police department may take a full set of your fingerprints, your photograph, and copies of any photo identification documents you have, including your driver's license, passport, and visa.

The law enforcement agency may then recall any warrants and issue a "clearance letter" or certificate of release if you were arrested/booked.  Keep this document with you at all times in case you're wrongly arrested.  Also, ask the law enforcement agency to file the record of the follow-up investigation establishing your innocence to the district attorney's office and the court where the crime took place.  Ask that the "key name" or "primary name" on the warrant be changed from your name to the imposter's name and that your name is noted only as an alias.